Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Thoughts about Scott Galloway's Interview [Part I] [2015/6/9]

In Masters of Business Podcast, Scott Galloway discusses trends and the future to come. Galloway predicts the following.

1. Companies will need both online and offline presence to be successful. Walmart and other traditional retailers may be catching up with Amazon.

2. People with the right skills will get more rewards while those who do not have these skills will struggle more.

3. Elite companies will create their own systems, separating themselves from the state.

4. Top schools will dominate the education market worldwide.

I agree with Galloway in that other firms are catching up with Amazon quite quickly. However, I think Amazon is really good at its game and will probably be fine. Just this month, I saw same-delivery, host give-away, and a more targeted Amazon offers. So I remain optimistic about Amazon [I also own Amazon shares].

I have been saying this for a while but I will repeat. The smart people will reap more fruits and the less smarter individuals will have less. This seems unfair but actually it is fair because you are being compensated for your abilities. In the old days, even though you are bright, you could not utilize your talents but now with internet and technology, you can arguably be more productive and earn more.

In terms of the less skilled people, well, it may seem like a bad situation but I disagree. As long as you have the discipline and you are dedicated, I think everyone will be fine. There are lot of free resources online. You can take courses online from the best schools online through Coursera and edX. You can learn foreign language using Duolingo. You can also learn coding through codeacademy.
Furthermore, just do a google search and you will find blogs and YouTube videos filled with great information.  Hence, as long as, you are willing to work hard, you will be fine. You will not be rich but you will have a reasonably decent life.

Yes, I agree that technology companies are building their own bubble by building state of the art campuses and providing majestic benefits. However, I disagree that they are fully separating themselves from the state. They just can't. How are they going to make money? Also, if you are isolated from the world, you will not have the insights and you will probably be disconnected from the customers, and eventually suffer losses. So I agree that firms are somewhat insulating their employees for higher productivity but I doubt they can be fully separated.

As an educator and researcher, I agree that the top schools will take a larger portion of the education market through online courses and satellite campuses. But given that these schools have to maintain somewhat of a brand exclusivity, I doubt that there will be an oligopoly. I do agree that they will earn tremendous amounts of money and force smaller schools out of business  but it is doubtful that they will dominate the education market. In addition, I expect other institutions to participate in the education market and compete with the colleges, which will actually drive up competition and quality. A good example is data camp and Udacity which is already providing awesome data analysis courses.

In sum, I strongly believe that the future will be more rich yet extremely competitive. Those with the right skills will leverage their abilities and make tons of money. The rest will be fine as long as they are willing to commit and keep improving themselves.




*from Snapshot Serengeti

No comments:

Post a Comment