Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Productivity Hack: Listening to podcasts.

One of my greatest productivity hack is listening to podcasts whenever possible. I listen when I walk, drive, go shopping, or when I have to clean data!!!

When I first listened to podcasts, I focused too much on the content and tried to understand everything. And that is absolutely a No, No. If you try to understand everything on a podcast, you will get nauseated and a screaming headache. So please don't do that.

So what is the right way to listen to podcasts? Here are my guidelines, which hopefully is useful.

1. Listen comfortably. Don't force yourself to understand 100%, that is a recipe for disaster. Just think whatever you learn, that it is a plus to your life. It is like basically bonuses. And sometimes, you get great insights and I call them mega bonus! And even if you think you forget everything the brain is actually quite amazing and recalls some stuff. Many instances, I actually was able to recall some information from the podcasts that I have heard and it was amazing. So please listen while chilling no need to force yourself. If you think you missed something important, you can listen to them again and also these days many podcasts provide you with transcripts and additional resources on their websites so relax.

2. Speed up. Most podcasts are boring actually....And most of the times only like ten minutes are worth of your time out of a one hour long podcast. So speed up, most podcast players have an option of speeding up. So I usually listen my podcasts at 2x and I have no trouble understanding. And if I feel like I am missing something, I just listen to 1x. So this saves me a lot of time and enables me to listen to many podcasts :D

3. Listen to diverse podcasts. Most of the podcasts that I listen to are either finance, economics, or psychology but I often hear other topics. Just to stimulate my brain and become more interesting. So I suggest you download stitcher, which suggests you great diverse podcasts.

4. Listen carefully how people speak in podcasts. I have learned tremendously from podcasts through listening how great and accomplished people speak and debate. I try to emulate their style and reasoning and this has worked. I am better at reasoning and I am proud to say that I actually convinced some very smart people. So listen carefully, how people speak, they have the experience and they are very good. I suggest that you listen to NPR Intelligent Squared and Econtalk. Don't be stressed if you don't get it the first time or first ten times, keep listening and you will learn how to reason and speak like great accomplished people.

5. Connect what you have learned. Try to connect what you have heard to your life. Tell your friends, post on facebook, write a diary, do something with that knowledge. In my cases, I try to come up with ideas with what I have learned through the podcast. This helps me better learn and retain the material in the podcast and also makes you more interesting, when you speak to your friends :D

Cool Microphone Stock Photo

Before I go here are my five favorite podcasts, hope you enjoy~

1.Econtalk
2. Intelligence Squared
3. James Altucher Show
4. Science Friday
5. Wall Street Unplugged

Happy listening :D

No comments:

Post a Comment